Saturday, January 16, 2016

02/11/08 - Cascarones, Part 2






Dear Jess, Darren & Girls: In Mexico there is a tradition among the children that proceeds Lent. I call it the "Egg on the head" tradition. (But I later learned that the eggs are called "Cascarones")



What it means...I don't know. All I do know is that it looks like a lot of fun.



The weekend before Ash Wednesday, the children and teenagers run around the Jardin (the town square) with bags of eggs that have been drained then stuffed with confetti and sometimes glitter.



They take the eggs, and smash them on each other's heads. It was fun to watch. There were eggshells and confetti everywhere.



See this little kid smashing his big sister while their mom watches.



 

The children run away from each other, but you can see the smiles on their faces and you know they are having fun.



"I don't want egg on my head"



Now the little guy is smashing an egg on mama's head - and she's joyfully letting him.



Every kid has a bag full of eggs...



and lots of shells and confetti in their hair and on their clothing.


Everyone gets a chance to play.


I'm having so much fun watching that I buy a couple of eggs from the tall boy...



...and smashed one on "tuff guy's" head...

..after he smashed one on mine.


As you can see, the grounds of the Jardin are covered with shells, confetti and the colored paper that keeps the eggs closed.


This cute little girl saw how much I was enjoying myself, and came over to smash me!!!

I don't really understand the custom, and I know it sounds pretty silly. But those kids were having a ball, and no one was getting hurt. It's way that simple, poor Mexican people have fun. I hope some day you girls can come visit grandpa and I here, so that you can participate in the fun as well. 


Hope you enjoyed these photos. Will send more another time.              Love,    Mom/Judy/Emmie

No comments:

Post a Comment